River Architects purchased a modest building on Main Street in Cold
Spring, NY to meet our growing needs. This timber-framed structure
was formerly a real estate office, a hotdog stand, a candy shop, and
a “Chinese” laundry. Our research however indicates that the structure
was first a farrier shop- a blacksmith shop for shoeing horses, and dates
to circa 1870.
Implementing our commitment to both historic preservation and
combating Climate Change, we upgraded this historic structure to
Passive House Standards- meeting net-positive performance with a
super-insulated building envelope, air-tight structure, geothermal ground
loop, solar tubes, and PV solar panels.
Structural deficiencies in the foundation led to the lifting and reconstruction
of the masonry base, utilizing stone from the original foundation and
pointed with historically-appropriate white mortar. Reclaimed foam
insulation thermally separates the stone base and the finished concrete
floor from contact with the ground, keeping interior temperatures in the
basement office consistent with the rest of the space. Tall windows bring
light and views into the basement level, and a dramatic steel and timber
staircase connect the two floors of workspace.
The updated exterior appearance, state-of-the-art energy performance
and TapHome automated solar shading is balanced by the exposed
timber framing at the interior, offset with white-stained wood creating a
bright and textured interior.