We invite you to submit your best passive building projects for the 6th Annual PHIUS Passive Projects Competition! This year it’s all virtual–the awards ceremony will be an online celebration of winners and entrants.
This juried competition recognizes fully certified passive building projects of all types and climate zones. This is your chance to showcase your work and celebrate the great strides being made in the field of passive building!
Submissions are due by Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 11:59pm ET.
Projects must be listed as fully certified in the PHIUS+ Certified Projects database.* Projects can be submitted in one or more of the five qualifying categories:
- Single Family
- Commercial / Institutional
- Source Zero
Additionally, two projects from the above winners will be awarded:
- Best Overall Project of this year’s competition
- Best Project by a Young Professional (35 or under)
The winning and finalist entries will be announced and celebrated 5:00–7:00pm ET on Friday, October 30, 2020 during the online Design Competition Awards Ceremony. Winners will be featured on the PHIUS web site, e‑newsletters, and Green Building and Design Magazine.
Projects must be listed as fully certified in the PHIUS+ Certified Projects database.* Entries will be scored by Jurors on a scale of 1 – 5 based upon:
- Performance (e.g., meets PHIUS+ standard, better than standard, crushes the standard),
- Difficulty level (climate/site/location/requirements challenges),
- Cost-effectiveness, Design (e.g., smart use of space),
- Craftsmanship, and Health (e.g., use of non-toxic materials).
- 1. Review the entry instructions and information requirements here.
- 2. Assemble the information.
- 3. Complete the online entry form.
Required information includes:
- A short (250 word) summary of the project
- Heating/Cooling demand figures (target and actual)
- R values for walls, roof, and floors
- EUI calculations
- Photos of exterior, interior, and other points of interest
- Floor plan and wall assembly diagrams
- One slide, maximum three photos, that shows your project at its best
*Projects listed as fully certified in other passive building databases such as the PHI / IPHA database or Belgium passiefhuis-platforme are also eligible.
Note: PHIUS employees and board members may not enter their own projects into the competition; however, other project team members/firms are eligible to enter a project. Projects with a PHIUS board member as CPHC are eligible to apply.
Get the latest passive house news, trends, & insights delivered straight to your email inbox.